On 13 September, NWPS students enjoyed a special visit from the NSW Police Band. As well as running a workshop with our Senior Concert Band kids (with feedback given that NWPS had one of the best primary school bands they had heard!), the entire school was treated to an hour-long performance from the 30-piece band along with their 10 work experience students.
The band showcased a wide range of instruments that can be found in a concert band, playing solos so that the kids could hear each instrument on its own, including the flute, piccolo, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, saxophones (alto, tenor & baritone), euphonium, trumpet, trombone, French horn, bass tuba, and drums. To the kids’ delight, the band played a wide range of theme songs including Teletubbies, Peppa Pig, Star Wars, and Harry Potter, followed by sing-alongs to a few well-known hits with the band’s vocalist, Belinda Parsons.
As a special performance, our Senior Concert Band finished off the concert playing ‘The Best of Henry Mancini’ alongside members of the Police Band.
About the Bands at NWPS
If your child would like to play an instrument, primary school is the perfect time to start. NWPS is fortunate enough to have 3 concert bands (training, intermediate, and senior), a jazz band, and a string ensemble.
- The band program starts from Year 3 for Training Band and will also accept students from Years 4–6 who would like to start an instrument.
- Strings students can start as early as kindergarten (but must be able to play one octave before joining). Students are welcome to join this ensemble any time throughout the year.
Dates for your calendar
In Term 4, the band will be starting recruitment for next year’s Training Band. No prior musical experience is required! Please add the following dates to your calendar if you and your child would like to know more:
- Friday 28th October (9.00 am): Band demonstration for Year 2 students
- Friday 4th November (7.45 am to 8.30 am): Training Band open rehearsal (interested kids and their parents can come along to watch)
- Wednesday 9th November (6.30 pm to approx. 8.00 pm): Instrument trials (bring your kids along to meet our Musical Director and tutors and see and try out the different instruments on offer)
If you would like to find out more about our band program in the meantime, please our band convenor via the contact us page. You can also register your interest by completing this form: https://forms.gle/Xi9DCmLzAbBhtWmH9